Welcome

Welcome to Texas Campus' Blog. Please take the time to learn more about each of our student bloggers by selecting from the tabs above.



Monday, December 27, 2010

Fannin Middle School spends a Friday at Northwood.

About a week ago, Fannin Middle School stopped by Northwood for a visit. The kids (who ranged from 6th to 8th grade) had a day of fun on campus with counselors, ambassadors, and students.

The day started off with a presentation about college. This included everything from scholarships to Northwood’s majors. Our counselor Phylecia did a great job making this interactive and informative for the students.

Next, we had a student panel. Along with four other students, I answered questions that the kids had. It’s always encouraging to see young kids want to know about our lives and what we’re doing to better ourselves.

After our student panel, we all split up for tours. The kids in my group seemed really interested in the campus and college life. They loved the dorms, especially Cassie’s. (Our ambassadors that are residents offer up their dorms to show during specific months. This month was Cassie.) Between the dorms and the Student Activities Center, I could see how excited they were to be getting a tour.

Once our tours were done, we settled in for lunch before we had time to play some fun games! Check out the pictures!

At the end of the day, I found out through one of the teachers that this was the first glimpse of college and the future that many of the kids had gotten. I was glad to be a part of that. I wish I had known from a younger age about college. I still ended up at a great university, but I’m the first in my family to go to a university. So it was hard going through this on my own during junior and senior year of high school. I do have to add, though, that I was really lucky because I had a job on-campus in the Counselors’ Office at my high school. So I always stayed in contact with my counselor, who helped me so much!
  
So if you’re looking at your future post-high school, keep in touch with your counselor. Be aware of what credits you need to graduate on time. Also, always, always, always keep deadlines in mind. It would be terrible if you didn’t get into your dream school just because you missed a deadline.

Along with keeping in touch with your high school counselor, make sure you know your admissions counselor at whatever school you’d like to attend!

If you’ve applied or are interested in Northwood, you can call the school at 972-293-5400 to speak with whoever your admissions counselor is. :) Better yet, schedule a visit to see us in 2011! Come to a myMonday and experience the school as a student for the day. You can register for myMondays at http://northwood.edu/forms/admissions/tx/mymondays/.

It’s been great getting to give all of you a glimpse into the first half of junior year here at Northwood! I hope you have a fantastic New Year, and I can’t wait to see you at a visit next semester!


Erica Garcia :)



Oh, and as promised, the print screen of my final grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment