Welcome

Welcome to Texas Campus' Blog. Please take the time to learn more about each of our student bloggers by selecting from the tabs above.



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Free valet parking? Yes, please!

(I just realized Melissa posted a blog about this past weekend… but a little extra information never hurt anybody. Plus, I think you might enjoy looking at the Distinguished Women event from the side of working it! If you’re thinking of doing any type of hotel management, event planning, or even catering… little glimpses into those worlds are always fun!)

The Distinguished Women’s award was established in 1970 at Northwood University. In simple terms, DW recognizes women in the area who are working hard, making a difference, and looking forward to leaving a legacy in their community. :)

This year, I had the opportunity to work the Hospitality Suite for one of the three nights that the DW would be at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Dallas. The event was Thursday-Saturday of this past week. I worked on Friday, on behalf of the Hotel, Restaurant, Resort Management (HRRM) department.

The Ritz-Carlton on McKinney Avenue!

I was so excited to get this chance to do this event. I almost missed it, but I decided at the last minute that it would be completely worth it… and I was right.

Along with two other students in the HRRM department, we held down the fort at the Hospitality Suite. It was a quiet morning/early afternoon, but we had fun regardless! We were scheduled from nine in the morning until two in the afternoon; but because it was pretty quiet, we ended up getting out at about one.

One student from my Sanitation class (one of the six courses required to get an HRRM concentration in your degree plan) worked Friday night. He told us in class today that he actually got two job offers on the spot, just by talking to people. See what a little networking can do? :)

 
Miguel Ibarra, Emily Imken, and I just as our shift started.


The Ritz is a huge fan of fresh flowers! The third picture is of the display at their entryway.

Also, a big congrats to Shawna Gillespie, the recipient of the DW scholarship award on the Texas campus. She, along with some other students from Northwood, got to spend a couple days at the Ritz-Carlton hotel. (They had to present an award to a DW at the luncheon, which I heard had some delicious food! I wonder how it compared to the fancy cheese we snacked on at the Hospitality Suite…)

 You thought I was kidding when I said free valet parking, right? Ha, it was no joke, ladies and gents.

-Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment